|This Week’s Recipes:
ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS w LEEKS & PANCETTA
1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved (quartered if large)
2 oz pancetta, visible fat discarded and pancetta minced
1 leek, minced
1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Toss together Brussels sprouts, pancetta, leeks, oil, and salt and pepper to taste in an 11- by 7-inch baking pan and spread in 1 layer.
3. Roast in upper third of oven, stirring once halfway through roasting, until sprouts are brown on edges and tender, about 25 minutes total. Stir in water, scraping up brown bits. Serve warm.
*adapted from HH archives
PEA TENDRIL SAUTEE (TASTY OVER RICE)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 leek, minced
1 bunch pea tendrils
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Discard garlic. Add butter, then pea tendrils. Cover; cook just until wilted, stirring often, about 5 minutes for pea tendrilsor 2 to 3 minutes for pea shoots. Season with salt and pepper. Serve atop rice.
adapted from epicurious
LENTIL STEW w CANDIED BRUSSELS
In this stew, lentils take center stage together with Brussels sprouts. Roasting the little cabbages at high heat makes them turn sweet and crispy, especially the blistery-brown outer leaves.
1lb. Brussels sprouts
2Tbsp. olive oil
2tsp. balsamic vinegar
~Salt and pepper
1½cups dry du Puy lentils,liquid reserved (Trader Joe’s has ready made)
1Tbsp. olive oil
1large yellow onion, sliced
2tsp. Dijon mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut the ends off the Brussels sprouts and cut the remaining sprouts in half. Place them in a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer and toss them with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast them in the bottom third of the oven until browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Drizzle the honey and balsamic vinegar over the Brussels sprouts. Stir to coat them all over with the honey mixture, and roast until the Brussels sprouts are well browned and slightly sticky, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Set a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the onion until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Drain the cooked lentils, reserving the cooking liquid. Add the lentils and ⅔ cup cooking liquid to the onions. Bring to a simmer. Add the mustard. Cook just until the liquid returns to a simmer.
5. Divide between 4 bowls and top with the Brussels sprouts.
*adapted from culinate
BRUSSELS & BROCCOLINI w/ PARMESAN CHEESE & PINE NUTS (Great w/ Fettuccine)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 leek, minced
3/4 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add leeks and brussels sprouts & broccolini, and cook until brown and softened, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add broth and cook untilsprouts are tender but not soggy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add pine nuts and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a small dish and sprinkle with parmesan.
*adapted from epicurious
SUCCULENT SAUTEED BROCCOLINI & LEEKS
1 bunch broccolini
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 lemon, zested
1 minced leek
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Blanch the broccolini in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the lemon zest and leek and stir. Drain the broccolini and add it to the leek mixture and heat for 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, and toss well before serving.
*adapted from hharchives
ROASTED BROCCOLINI & LEMON w/ PARMESAEN
1 lemon, halved crosswise, seeds removed
1 leek, minced
2 bunches broccolini, ends trimmed (or 1 pound broccoli, thinly sliced lengthwise, stem and all)
3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
½ cup finely grated Parmesan
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Thinly slice half the lemon into rounds and set the other half aside. Toss lemon slices, leeks and broccolini with the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, making sure everything is evenly coated, especially the broccolini tips so they get fried and crisp.
2. Sprinkle with Parmesan and roast until the broccolini is bright green, starting to char and the cheese is golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven, squeeze the remaining half of the lemon over the top and serve.
Adapted from nytimescooking
EZ PAN ROASTED BROCCOLINI
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 leek, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 Tbs. water
In a 10-inch (25-cm) French skillet or fry pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the leek and cook, stirring constantly, until just golden and fragrant, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a small bowl.
Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the broccoli and red pepper flakes, and season with salt and black pepper. Pour in the water. Cover and steam for about 3 minutes. Uncover, stir and continue to cook until the broccoli is lightly browned and crisp-tender and the water has evaporated, 1 to 2 minute more. Scatter the garlic on top and serve immediately. Serves 4.
*adapted from 101cookbooks
VALENTINE STRAWBERRY GALETTE
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup chilled butter
3-5 tbsp ice water
*put butter into flour with a pastry cutter or in a food processor. The mixture should look like coarse breadcrumbs. Mix in ice water until dough just comes together.
*Quarter strawberries and mix with 1/4 cup or sugar(or less if they are really sweet) and let it sit for ten minutes to macerate.
1. Roll out the dough into a circle until its about 1/2 inch thick. Pour strawberry filling right into the center of the dough.
2. Fold up theside of the pie crust so that they overlap each other, creating a sealed pie crust.
3. Top with egg was and sugar, and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 min, or until the crust is golden brown.
*chef Kevin Folan